Friday, March 27, 2009

Explored the Millionaire

Yesterday at 11 PM, I watched that movie – Slumdog Millionaire, for the second time and I should confess that, only then I was able to understand why it won all the reputation.

Last week when I had watched it for the first time it unquestionably entertained me but did not keep happy my expectations of an Oscar awarded movie. After watching movies like “Roja” and “Nayakan” any body would have felt the same considering music or direction. Shoba De had termed it as a Class in the interview she had given to NDTV lately. I wanted to know the bits and pieces again. So I did the exploration yesterday and it was really a worth. The very thing which I understood and which kept me mused was that – Jamal the Slumboy and Chaiwala who did not read as we did in schools is taught by life which once was a challenge to him. We are taught by the books we read but he is taught by the life he lives- on streets, spit, and “everything else”. Taught about money, life and love and that true love is the greatest power.

Yeah Ms Pinto was super and Lil Latika sweet. More than young Jamal, Young Salim has done a good job and that’s why I felt they have projected him during Oscars. The real Juhu slum has been portrayed in its own rustic ways and the people described bucolic.

Even though the happy ending is a hyped commercial one, it makes it all the more enjoyable and a lingering one. It is more than worth a see.

No comments:

Post a Comment